Sunday, October 19, 2008

Emily's birthday and other fun things!


Last month I became nearly 30 when I turned 26. All the sudden I feel old. It's even hard to call myself a "young adult" any more because it feels like I've crossed the line to just being an "adult." Oh well, you know what? I'm probably the happiest I've ever been so I guess I can handle just being and "adult."

We went to dinner with Brad and Sharon at McGraths the day before my birthday. My dear friend Lauren came with us which made it even that much more enjoyable. Just a word to the wise though, if you don't like getting a lot of attention on your birthday, don't go to McGraths. When they came out to sing and bring me my free dessert they brought a HUGE paper machet fish sombrero. I knew I looked ridiculous from the uncontrolled laughing of everyone at the table.

On my birthday I recieved a nice visit from my dad and Mary after which Nate and I celebrated by going to Batman and out to dinner. Nate got me what I've been wanting and needing for a while: a brand new bed! It is heavenly to sleep on. Then we celebrated with my mom in St. George that weekend and the following week with Nate's dad, Rayma, and the kids (I know, you guys are too old to be called kids). So it's been great!

While we were in St. George we saw Le Miserables at Tuacan, which I've never seen before. And I loved it! I thought they did an incredible job. Ya it got a little long, but since I already knew most of the songs, it was cool to understand more of the story that went on behind it. We also rode bikes down Snow Canyon and played tennis. My family can never sit still for long. :)

After that it was October conference weekend which means mission reunions! We went to mine last year so this we we went to Nate's. Can I just say that Nate's mission president, President Willes, is an absolutely adorable man! He has such a strong spirit with him and just oozes love. He talked a little about the economy going sour and how we need to have faith and remember what's important: our spouses. He said financial trouble can often lead to contention in marriage so we need to be extra careful to invest lots of love into the most important relationship of our lives. It was really good. Then Nate and Craig Walton got a hold of each other and I swear those two just have to look at each other and they are laughing hysterically! Talk about kindrid spirits.

Well I went to the first hour with Nate before stopping by my own mission reunion for a few minutes to say hi to President and Sister Rhien. Then it was off to ice cream with my two MTC companions. We were in a threesome and it was a pretty turbulent ride for all of us. We have made ice cream a tradition because Sorella Cooper was sent to another mission so we don't get to see each other at the reunions. I love the kind of friends that you can see after not speaking for a whole year and just pick up right where you left off, like no time had passed at all.

Nate's hard work has really paid off lately as he was assigned a task at work that was super advanced. They needed Nate to bail them out of a big problem they were having. After researching for about a week he had an idea of what he needed to do. It was a task they estimated would take about 2 and a half weeks. Nate got the whole thing done on friday! His brain was built for problem solving in abstract spheres! Now if only he could figure me out... he he he.

1 comment:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

You guys are so great. Happy birthday Emily!
It sounds like everything is going really really well for the both of you.
Let Nate know that I saw his programming blog. I felt like it was written in a futuristic language, only spoken by cyborgs- and I'm a computer geek.
I bet he shines in any work arena he's put in.
And come check out my snake blog. It will freak you out how weird I've gotten. pilkysnakes.blogspot.com

Hugs all around