Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mommy-Talk Update

These boys... they are cutting their molars right now and are a little testy and emotional lately. Maybe Heavenly Father timed it this way so I could have some empathy for Nate and what he has to put up with being married to pregnant me :)

I have been decorating their rooms so that they have more than 4 white walls and a crib. They are finally almost done so I can start focusing on the nursery. It's going to be a sports themed room because that's what Nate wanted to do with the boys originally and I vetoed it. I figured it was his turn :) Blakey is the dinosaur boy so he got dinosaur art while Caden gets a baboon. He is obsessed. He asks to go to Nana's house all the time just to see the baboon book. They both love animals and dinosaurs but they have their favorites.

For example Blake loves riding his bike! He thinks he is so big and he gets so proud to ride it all around the church parking lot. Caden on the other hand could sit in the driver's seat of a car and pretend to drive for who knows how long! When I put him in the back seat we have a real wrestling match sometimes. I don't know what I will do if he gets much stronger! I won't be able to put him in the car. But he makes himself feel better saying, "It's Momma's turn" meaning to drive the car. Because when we take turns at our house it means you get another turn in a minute.

Speaking of which  they boys are just starting to learn to share. I know that twins learn this much earlier than most kids but I believe it's just because they get a crash course in it. We do multiple time outs a day for throwing toys, stealing toys, and screaming when it's not their turn with a coveted toy. Ya, I think I'm living in toddler sharing boot camp. I just hope the boys graduate to a basic functioning level of sharing by the time the baby comes. They will share now with close supervision so we'll see.

It's so funny raising twins. I feel like I have to fight all the battles twice as much so I have to prioritize what I want to teach them that week. For example, they love to jump across my huge tub, causing tidal waves of splashes. Just yesterday I moved the rugs out of the way and pulled the blinds all the way up and just let them splash their little hearts out. I had used up all my teaching for the day and decided wiping up water was less energy than teaching "little splashes." I'm sure that lesson will come, but not this week.

Caden has been jumping out of his crib lately, sometimes hurting himself. We got him a new crib so the baby could use his old one. The new crib turns into a cute toddler bed so I thought I would just let him get used to it before the baby comes. But it is lower to ground which causes the escapes. Ever since then he has not been sleeping well which makes for a very emotional Caden. So for now, the boys have switched rooms until who knows when. Blake is too careful and he likes sleeping too much to jump out of the lower crib. And so far Caden has stayed put in Blakey's crib.

Life is so much better when boys sleep. They are happier, they eat better, they are nicer to me and each other. Their language development is coming right along and it is so fun to finally be communicating with them! It's so wonderful to hand something to Blake and have him say, "Thanks, Mamma." And when Caden gets a little worried about how big a slide is at the park and he calls it "Scary" I know I need to hold his hand and he'll be fine. He also does the funniest whiny little "No" right now that leaves his mouth in a little cheerio and his eyes concerned. And you can't beat the "Snuggle Mamma!" request.

They have the cutest little personalities. They both love life and playing so much! Blake loves attention so much it almost makes him shy, even with me, which makes him silly and show off. Caden is so focused on what he is doing but he looks over every once in a while to just to see if I'm watching. If I am he just continues on with his task but with a little smile on his face and in his eyes. I am one lucky woman.

Wow, now that was an explosion of mommy-talk. I just don't want to forget this time with them. I know these are the best years of my life.

1 comment:

tycee said...

You're such a good mom Emily! How fun to read about the stages your little ones are in.